Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tears Before God

I was praying in the chapel when it began: the sobs of someone in need, suffering and clinging to God. They pierce my heart and I know they pierce God's heart. Contemplatives hold the Church in their hearts; although we are cloistered we are more a part of the world than most. As I knelt before the Blessed Sacrament I felt myself thinking, "I know. I understand." I do not know why she was crying, her name, or even her face, but I do know what it is means to cry until I'm numb, to yell at God, "Why?" I love my life as a cloistered sister and have found joy and fulfillment in my vocation, but I also know suffering and because of that my compassion is great.  Because of this, I hold the world in my heart. Because Jesus knew suffering, he holds you in his heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story. I am praying for that person who was crying. I love your blog!