Sunday, November 20, 2011

Our King, Our Shepherd

The liturgical year closes with the Solemnity of Christ the King. The readings use images of Christ the Good Shepherd to describe his reign. What kind of a king would compare himself with a shepherd? Only one whose power is so great that he has no fear of losing it and can thus humble himself greatly. In Ezekiel God describes how he tends his sheep: "I will rescue...I will pasture...I will heal, I will look after and tend my sheep." Compare that with the religious leaders of Ezekiels' time who "pastured themselves" and not their sheep.

As God shepherds us, so he asks us to do for others. In the Gospel parable, Christ the King comes at the end of time to judge. He separates the goats from the rams or those who "...gave me food, gave me drink, welcomed me, clothed me, visited me." For whatever you do for the least, you do for the Shepherd. May Christ our King teach us such compassion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Lord be with you.

The voice of Catholic blog is from the Philippines.

Currently, my country is under attack by secularism (issues like RH bill, Relativism etc)

I read a lot of wonderful articles on your blog, articles that I hope will strengthen the faith of my fellow filipino in depending our country against RH bill.

http://www.thevoiceofcatholic.blogspot.com

hoping that you may send one article so I can post it on my blog.

c.pio