Friday, September 24, 2010

For Everything There Is A Season

The first reading for Mass today is from Ecclesiastes 3:
There is an appointed time for everything
and a time for every affair under the heavens.
A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant...
This reading always reminds me of the '60s song by The Byrds and I end up with "turn, turn, turn, turn..." running through my head. Today, however, it stood out in a different way for me. 
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
And a time to tear down and a time to build.
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance...
I am going through a difficult time right now, and in the midst of pain it is hard to believe that things will ever be alright again. I received a gentle reminder that this too shall pass.  Time is a sacred gift from God, times of pain and times of joy. As Psalm 126 puts it, "Those who sow in tears will reap with joy." This is seed time, but the harvest time is sure to follow. We are an Easter people, and Alleluia! is our song.
God has made everything appropriate to its time and has put the timeless into their hearts, without men's ever discovering, from beginning to end, the work which God has done. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-11)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister, Thank you for your post today, it is comforting somewhat to know that we are not alone in this journey of life with all of its pains and difficulties, that there are others expierencing simular things to yours. I try to believe that there is a day in which all of this pain will be gone and the situation will make us stronger in our Trust in the Lord. May I learn to Trust in you Dear Jesus more each day than the one before.

This is my first visit to your blog and I plan on visiting reguarly. Do you have post cards for sale of your beautiful Chapel? In closing, I assure you of my prayers. John K.

Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters said...

We do have post cards. If you're in the area, stop by the convent. If not, write to us:
Mount Grace Convent
PO Box 16459
St. Louis, MO 63125-0459